Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Expat's American Dream Part I: The People

Summer time is what all students look forward to. American, Austrian-- it makes no difference. We all love a vacation from school. But for me summer seems even more sweet. It's the time where I get to come home. Back to the good ol' USA :) I get a chance to see my cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends but most of all I love it because it makes me feel like I really am home.

Since I've lived in Austria for nine years, most assume Austria is my home. Which even though my physical home is there and my friends and school are there, I still feel a strong connection to America. Expectantly, some Europeans call it American arrogance ;), but believe it or not when I try to explain this to some Americans they are surprised at this as well. 


And so this summer, through the months I am back home again in the US, I set out to explain why.


First of all, let me say this, Austria is a wonderful place. With it's mountains and the beautiful city of Vienna, it  truly is a great place to live.

But there is something about America, that makes it different. It's what is talked so frequently of today in the political field because some of us are worried we may be losing it.  I however am not one of those people. Because of living in Austria, and observing our differences between our nations, first hand, I am a strong believer in the American dream and even the struggles we are dealing with today can't steer me any other way.

Matter of fact, in the summer my beliefs are reinforced even more as I get to spend more time with my fellow Americans. And the reason I wish to discuss today is the people's kindness. As I travel abroad, I have seen many different cultures. I've been in the homes of princes and in the slums of the India. But nowhere, have I seen the kindness of the American people. 

And this may sound crazy, but I even look forward to the moment when you get off the plane and the airport crew are standing there in there yellow vests popping jokes in their local accents. And then I get to the immigration desk and I'm so excited to have that small conversation. Because somehow when the officer says "welcome home" it immediately makes me feel so happy.

I'm not sure why for sure but I think it has do with the fact that it's like there reaching out to me. And for Americans that sounds ridiculous but to me, a guy who lives abroad, it's not. That customs officer could just stamp my passport and send me through-- but he doesn't. And I have never been anywhere else where they do welcome you to their country at immigration. Yes! Believe it or not, it's true! And it's not that people are trying to be rude, it's just not part of their culture to do that.

Of course this is just a small example but everywhere the kindness of the American people makes me feel so welcome. Even when I go out to eat and order and they give me a warm answer I feel good because that just doesn't happen in other places.

Like it or not, it is in American Culture to be nice to people, and that is just part of why there is an American Dream.

To be continued....






No comments:

Post a Comment